Robert and I are trying to eat healthier these days, so when I saw a delicious sounding recipe for a garlic cream sauce in mom’s recipe box, I decided to make a healthier version. We always have almond milk on hand as we like it in our morning coffee, so substituted the half and half in mom’s recipe with almond milk. The resulting sauce is delicious! I’ve tried it on both roasted chicken and also on a prosciutto and spinach pizza (new recipe to come shortly!) and we loved both dishes. If you don’t like almond milk, I think low fat milk would work equally well in this sauce. I decided to keep with the almond theme and sprinkle the chicken with some roasted slivered almonds just before serving. Easy, healthy, quick and delicious – my favorite kind of recipe. Enjoy!Print
Roasted Chicken Breasts with a Healthy Garlic “Cream” Sauce Recipe
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- onion salt
- ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté just until the garlic begins to brown. Whisk in the flour, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Slowly whisk the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spray a broiler pan with grapeseed oil. Arrange the chicken breasts in one layer and sprinkle with the paprika, onion salt and pepper:
- Roast for around 7 to 8 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a serving platter. Spoon garlic sauce over the top. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley and serve immediately.
Make ahead: Garlic cream sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Reheat over medium-low heat. You may need to add a bit more milk if it is too thick.