Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini and Red Pepper – flavorful roasted fresh vegetables are layered with pesto and Fontina cheese and then baked. So easy, so scrumptious, and vegetarian, too!
One night while living in Amsterdam, two guests at one of my dinner parties were vegetarian. I created this recipe especially for them – and they loved it. A block from my house was a fabulous fruit and vegetable stand, where I found wonderful fresh eggplant, zucchini and sweet red peppers. I decided to roast them and then place them in a baking dish layered with pesto and cheese. So easy to prepare, and so yummy!
Pin it now to save for later!
Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini and Red Pepper
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetarian, Gluten Free
8 slices eggplant (around 1/2-inch thick)
12 slices (rounds) zucchini (around 1/2-inch thick)
2 sweet red peppers, cored, seeded, each cut into 2 pieces
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup prepared pesto, divided
2 cups shredded Fontina cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet. Grease an 8-by-8 inch (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant, zucchini and red pepper slices with olive oil and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt (preferably kosher) and pepper to taste. Bake for around 10 to 15 minutes or until soft and lightly brown.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Place 4 slices of the roasted eggplant in the bottom of the prepared baking dish in one layer. Spread top with 1/4 cup pesto. Top with roasted red pepper slices. Top with roasted zucchini, then sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Place remaining 4 slices of roasted eggplant on top of the cheese. Spread remaining pesto, then remaining cheese on the top. Bake for around 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and the cheese has melted.
Note: I’ve found this dish to be very flexible. You can use different types of cheese and add or subtract different roasted vegetables as you like.
Make ahead: Casserole can be assembled but not baked up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking.