Rum Pumpkin Pots de Crème
(From “Fresh Tastes from A Well-Seasoned Kitchen®” by Lee Clayton Roper)
- 20 gingersnap cookies
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 7 tablespoons good quality golden or dark rum, divided
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder
- 7 1/2 ounces (about 1 cup) pumpkin purée (can use canned)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- Zest from 1/2 large navel orange
- 5/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- In a heavy-duty plastic zip top bag, crush the gingersnap cookies with a rolling pin or meat mallet (don’t smash into fine crumbs; cookie pieces should be around 1/2-inch in size).
- Divide cookie pieces evenly in the bottom of each pots de crème.
- Sprinkle evenly with chopped crystallized ginger.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the rum and set aside. Sprinkle remaining rum over the cookies and ginger (around 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per cup). Set aside.
- Put the reserved 1/4 cup rum in the top of a double boiler (don’t put it over simmering water yet). Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let soften for about 8 to 10 minutes (it will start to solidify but that’s okay).
- While the gelatin softens, in a large mixing bowl whisk together the pumpkin, egg yolk, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, orange zest, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and 3/4 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Place top of double boiler with rum mixture over simmering water and heat just until the gelatin melts (the rum will be clear). Whisk into the pumpkin mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk 3/4 cup of the whipping cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into pumpkin mixture.
- Carefully spoon into pots de crème; smooth the top.
- Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup whipping cream, remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and remaining 3/8 teaspoon cinnamon until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe or spoon onto top of pots de crème.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make ahead: Can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated.
- Serving Size: 10