Sausage and Spinach Torte is sophisticated in flavor, tempting to look at, and the perfect main dish for a picnic, lunch or light dinner.
Sausage and Spinach Torte is a basically a super flavorful meatloaf that’s served at room temperature. It was a favorite recipe of my mom. She loved serving it at picnics, Botanic Gardens concerts, tailgates – even lunch when cross country skiing!
In fact, here’s an old photo of mom, me (left) and my childhood best friend Katey Hartwell enjoying one of mom’s gourmet picnic lunches, back when I was in high school. We had taken a break while skiing on Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado:
This Sausage and Spinach Torte is super easy to prepare. Simply brown sausage and onion, mix in breadcrumbs, milk, spinach, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, pepper, sage and nutmeg. Then bake, cool, and chill. How easy is that?
Serve it with a French baguette and a variety of mustards and cheeses, for a French-inspired, casually-sophisticated meal.
Pin it now to save for later!
Mom’s Sausage and Spinach Torte is sophisticated in flavor, tempting to look at, and the perfect main dish for your next picnic, lunch or light dinner gathering.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, mild or hot (to your taste, we like hot)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh French bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, stirring, just until no longer red. Break the sausage into pieces as it cooks. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until the onions are lightly golden and the sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Put meat mixture in a food processor and mince. Place in a large mixing bowl and stir in the bread crumbs and milk. Set aside.
- Thaw the frozen spinach, drain and squeeze dry in paper towel. Add the spinach to the meat mixture and stir in the cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, sage and nutmeg.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until set. Cool, cover and chill.
- Bring to room temperature before serving with a baguette and a variety of mustards and cheeses.
Make ahead: Torte can be made up to 2 days in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving. Can also be wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month.