Seafood Lasagna – creamy, cheesy deliciousness that’s super easy to prepare with no-boil lasagna noodles.
I love crab and shrimp, especially when paired with a cheese sauce. So, a seafood lasagna seemed like a great idea to me and mom when we were talking about what kind of unusual lasagna recipe we wanted to include in our cookbook A Well-Seasoned Kitchen®. However, it took me months to find the right mixture of ingredients. Sometimes it was too cheesy, or too creamy, or didn’t have enough seafood – or too much and tasted fishy. In this Seafood Lasagna we finally found the perfect balance of flavors. Yay!
Cooked shrimp and crabmeat are combined with a mushroom and vermouth spiked sauce, then layered with a ricotta and cream cheese mixture and lasagna noodles and baked. Super flavorful, super delicious! Using no-boil noodles saves on prep time and makes it easy to assemble. Save even more time and purchase already cooked and shelled shrimp. I use the best quality jumbo lump crabmeat I can find – the Phillips brand at Costco works well.
This lasagna is incredibly versatile and works well for either a casual or elegant gathering. Just add a salad and some bread and you’ve got a crowd-pleasing dinner.
Pin it now to save for later!
Seafood Lasagna – creamy, cheesy deliciousness that’s super easy to prepare with no-boil lasagna noodles. Cooked shrimp and crabmeat are combined with a mushroom and vermouth spiked sauce, layered with a ricotta-cream cheese mixture and lasagna noodles, and baked. Super flavorful, super delicious!
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature, cut into 8 square-shaped pieces
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cans (10 3/4 oz. each) cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup white wine or dry vermouth
5 ounces fresh lump crabmeat
1 pound medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and cooked (see Note below)
8 no boil lasagna noodles
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Reduce heat to low, add cream cheese and ricotta cheese and continue to cook, stirring until cheeses melt and are well combined. Remove from heat and stir in the egg, basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the soup and wine (or vermouth). Stir in the crab and shrimp.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles in a 9-by-13 inch baking dish. Spread half the cheese mixture evenly over the noodles. Spread half the shrimp and crab mixture over the cheese layer.
- Place the remaining 4 lasagna noodles over the top and repeat the layers. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan and cheddar cheeses. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until bubbly hot. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Note: Frozen shrimp weight is not the same as thawed. Weight is for thawed shrimp.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free Cream of Mushroom Soup (we like Amy’s brand). Use gluten-free lasagna noodles and cook al dente before using.
Make ahead: The casserole can be made ahead, covered, and refrigerated up to 24 hours ahead. Can also be frozen. Bring to room temperature before baking.