A great recipe for using up the rest of those delicious tomatoes from your garden! I love fresh tomatoes, and am always looking for new ways to serve them. This easy recipe has a wonderful combination of flavors. I think it looks the prettiest if you use a combination of different color tomatoes.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 very thin slices prosciutto (around 2 ounces)
- 2 pints of grape (or cherry) tomatoes, preferably different colors, stemmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (or more to taste)
- chopped fresh basil
- In a small jar with tight fitting lid, whisk together the vinegar, garlic and olive oil. Cover and set aside.
- Spray a medium frying pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add 2 prosciutto slices and cook until crisp, around 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining prosciutto. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the tomatoes, onions and basil. Break the prosciutto into pieces and sprinkle over the top. Shake dressing, pour over tomato mixture and toss gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make ahead: dressing can be made several days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using. Prosciutto can be cooked earlier in the day and stored at room temperature.