This quick and easy Turkey Sausage Penne Marinara is perfect for busy day dinner. With around 15 minutes of prep time plus 15 to 20 minutes of cook time, you can have dinner on the table in less than 40 minutes! So easy, so scrumptious.
I created this Turkey Sausage Penne Marinara one night when I was craving pasta, and we had all of these ingredients on hand. While the penne pasta is cooking, simply sauté onion, garlic and a bit of red pepper together with ground turkey sausage. Once the sausage is no longer pink, stir in some marinara sauce, grated Cheddar cheese and a bit of sour cream. Throw it in a baking dish, top with Parm cheese and bake. How easy is that? Comfort food at its best.
At the time I first created this recipe, I used a purchased marinara sauce with black olives and artichokes. Now I use my Easy Marinara Sauce and it’s super delicious! And, if you don’t have – or can’t find – turkey sausage, just use ground turkey and add in some fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and onion salt or powder. It works just as well!
Pin it now to save for later –
This quick and easy Turkey Sausage Penne Marinara is perfect for busy night dinner – in fact, you can have dinner on the table in less than 40 minutes! So easy, so scrumptious.
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 3/4 pound mild Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce (my Easy Marinara Sauce works great)
- 2 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, in large sauté pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until it starts to soften.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up with a spatula, and continue cooking until the sausage is no longer pink, around 10 minutes.
- Stir in the marinara sauce, sour cream and Cheddar cheese, then stir in the penne. Spoon into the prepared dish and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese on the side.
Make ahead: Dish can be prepared but not baked earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking.