Robert’s Easy Chicken Parmesan – a colorful, flavorful, from-your-pantry, perfect weeknight dinner!
It’s mid-August, which means that fall is just around the corner. I don’t know exactly why, but my busy life seems to get even busier in the fall. More meetings, more book signings, more cooking classes, etc. I’m sure many of you feel the same way! Busy times mean less time for meal prep, which is why I decided to share my husband Robert’s Easy Chicken Parmesan recipe with you today.
As the title indicates, Robert’s Easy Chicken Parmesan is a no-fuss recipe, that can be prepared with ingredients you are likely to have on hand. You can prep the chicken breasts earlier in the day, then finish the dish off that evening in around 45 minutes.
Robert’s forte is cooking anything Italian. His maternal grandparents emigrated to the US from Pagani, Italy – and his Italian genes take over when he enters the kitchen! In this dish, boneless chicken breasts are coated with egg and an Italian breadcrumb-Parmesan cheese mixture, browned in olive oil, and then baked with a hearty marinara sauce. Mozzarella cheese is melted on top and then these tomato-y, cheesy pieces of moist chicken deliciousness are served atop spaghetti. YUM!
Just toss a salad and you’ll have a scrumptious, family-pleasing dinner.
Pin it now to save for later!
Robert’s Easy Chicken Parmesan
Robert’s Easy Chicken Parmesan – a colorful, flavorful, from-your-pantry perfect weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 mins (+20 mins refrigeration)
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main dish, poultry, gluten free
3 large (6 to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
8 ounces spaghetti or linguine pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 (25-ounce) jar marinara sauce – or 3 cups of my Easy Marinara Sauce
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Butterfly and halve the chicken breasts; you will have 6 pieces.
- Put the beaten egg in a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, stir together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip the chicken breasts first in the egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating well on both sides. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the chicken: in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken until golden brown – around 2 to 3 minutes per side. (I do it in two batches). Drain on paper towel.
- Place chicken in a baking dish large enough to hold breasts in one layer. Spoon marinara sauce over the top (you might not need all of it). Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cover; sprinkle a large amount of shredded Mozzarella cheese over the top of each breast. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately over pasta, sprinkling top with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil leaves (chopped or whole).
Gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs, marinara sauce and pasta.
Make ahead: Chicken can be butterflied, halved and breaded earlier in the day. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before cooking.