Tasty and colorful, Toasted Bagels with Egg Salad and Smoked Salmon are my husband Robert’s favorite breakfast. A bit tangy, a bit smoky and full of flavor, they are quick and easy to prepare. And, the egg salad can be made 24 hours ahead, too!
- 4 large eggs
- 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, chopped (white part and some of the green)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Paprika, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bagels, sliced in half (I like to use whole wheat or poppy seed)
- 3 to 4 ounces smoked salmon
Hard-boiled eggs – Instant Pot method
- Let eggs sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. (See Note below.)
- Place wire rack (or steamer basket) in Instant Pot along with 1 to 1 1/2 cups water.
- Place eggs on rack, spacing out as evenly as possible (I cook 6 at a time and use the other 2 in another recipe). Seal and cook on high for 7 minutes.?When timer goes off, release pressure, following the “quick release” method.
- Carefully remove eggs (they will be hot!) and immediately place in a bowl of ice water. Let rest in water until eggs are cold to the touch.
Hard-boiled eggs – traditional method
- In a large saucepan, place eggs in one layer and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 6 to 8 minutes (cook for longer time if at higher altitude).
- Remove pan from heat and leave eggs in hot water for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain and run eggs under cold water (or place in a bowl of ice water) until cooled.
- Remove shells from hard-boiled eggs.
- Chop eggs and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, onion and chives. Season to taste with paprika, salt and pepper. Adjust the mayonnaise and mustard, if necessary
- Lightly toast the bagel halves, then spread egg salad mixture on each half.
- Top with slices of salmon and serve. Garnish with additional chopped chives, if desired.
Make ahead: Egg Salad can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated.
Note on eggs: If you don’t have time to let your eggs sit at room temperature, it’s okay. Just increase the Instant Pot cook time to 9 minutes.
Smaller variation: Use toasted mini bagels or pumpernickel cocktail bread instead of the regular-size bagels and serve as hors d’oeuvres or a side dish for a brunch.