Zesty Pimiento Cheese Spread – another scrumptious, versatile recipe from Mom!
Mom loved pimiento cheese and made her Zesty Pimiento Cheese Spread often, sometimes just for our family to enjoy. She never measured the ingredients, just mixed them to taste. This is my version of her “recipe”. I add cayenne pepper to give it a little kick. Note that it’s important to use a good quality Cheddar cheese with lots of flavor.
In addition to serving it as a spread or dip, pimiento cheese also makes a great sandwich – which is traditionally served at Augusta National Golf Club during the Master’s tournament in early April. The Augusta version is on white bread and wrapped in green waxed paper; I prefer it on whole wheat bread.
Pin it now to save for later!Print
Zesty Pimiento Cheese Spread
Our Zesty Pimiento Cheese Spread is quick to make, mixing sharp yellow and white Cheddar cheeses with mayonnaise, pimientos and cayenne pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: a generous 2 cups 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated yellow sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated white sharp Cheddar cheese (we like Cracker Barrel brand)
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimientos, drained
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Crackers and/or celery stalks
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cheeses, mayonnaise and pimientos. Mash together with a fork until well mixed. Season to taste with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Serve with crackers and/or celery stalks.
Gluten free: Serve with gluten-free crackers.
Make ahead: The cheese spread can be made up to 3 days before serving, covered and stored in the refrigerator.
- Category: Quick & Easy, dips and spreads
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Southern
Note: this recipe was originally posted on January 10, 2010 and updated in April of 2016.