Savor the tangy and creamy flavors of Feta Cheese Spread (or Mousse) – a quick and easy appetizer made with just four basic ingredients of feta, sour cream, EVOO and green onion. Garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper add an extra kick of flavor to this light and airy spread, perfect for serving with grilled bread. Impress your guests with this elegant yet effortless dish, ideal for any occasion.
Why You’ll Love this Feta Cheese Spread
You’ll love this Feta Mousse recipe for both its simplicity and its bold flavors:
- Quick and easy to prepare with just a few pantry ingredients
- Creamy, smooth, and bursting with bold flavors. Feta, sour cream, EVOO, and green onion are accentuated with a touch of garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper
- Light and airy texture pairs perfectly with grilled bread or crackers
- Simple yet elegant appetizer, making it perfect for both a fancy dinner party or a casual get-together
Story Behind this Quick and Easy Feta Cheese Mousse
A few years ago, I fell in love with the Feta Mousse appetizer at Charcoal restaurant in Denver. Although the restaurant has since closed, I was able to recreate my own version of this amazing dish. At the end of our meal, I asked the chef for the recipe, which he happily shared. While chefs tend to provide a list of ingredients, they are often a bit vague about the quantities and method of preparation. That’s where the fun comes in!
This feta spread recipe didn’t take too many attempts on my part to recreate. Starting with chef’s four basic ingredients, I added a few more to balance and enhance the flavors. And, using a food processor made the prep quick and easy.
Feta Spread Recipe Ingredients
Here’s all you’ll need to make this tasty spread:
- Feta cheese – I think it’s best to use a whole piece of feta (in brine) and break it into crumbles. Purchasesd crumbled feta will have an additive to keep it from sticking together, and that extra ingredient can make the spread less smooth.
- Sour cream – can sub Greek yogurt for part/all of the sour cream
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Green onion – try shallots as a substitute
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Heavy cream, if needed (see directions)
- Ciabatta bread, crostini, pita chips or crackers, for serving
How to Make Feta Cheese Spread
In only 5 minutes you can create this tasty spread. All you need is a food processor or blender:
- Process feta, sour cream, olive oil and green onion.
In a small food processor or blender, process the feta cheese, sour cream, olive oil and green onion until well blended and very smooth.
- Add seasonings; blend.
Add garlic powder, oregano and cayenne pepper; blend. Season to taste with kosher salt (may not need any). Add more sour cream or olive oil to taste, as needed.
- If needed, add cream.
If your feta cheese is very strong/ripe, add in a bit of heavy cream to taste.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
How to serve Feta Mousse
Serve at room temperature with grilled ciabatta bread, crostini, pita chips or crackers.
How to Store Feta Cheese Mousse
Cover feta spread with plastic wrap and refrigerate. It will last up to 4 days.
Can you freeze feta dip?
Yes, you can freeze this dip. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate first. When cold, freeze for up to 2 months.
Feta Spread FAQs
Feta is a type of Greek cheese, but there are also other types of Greek cheese, like Halloumi.
Feta cheese is made from sheep’s milk or a mixture of sheep and goat milk.
Feta cheese is lower in fat and calories than many other types of cheese. It also contains a high amount of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin B, all of which are good for you.
Other Dip and Spread Recipes You’ll Like
- 4-Ingredient Hot Crab Dip
- Green Olive Cheese Spread
- Mushroom Pâté
- Liptauer Cheese Spread
- Artichoke, Jalapeno and Cheese Dip
- Cannellini Bean Dip
- Zesty Pimiento Cheese Spread
Note: I originally posted this Feta Mousse recipe several years ago, and have updated it a few times. Over the years, I’ve tweaked it, adding a few ingredients that make it even more delicious. I’ve also honed my food photography skills a bit, and wanted to share a better photo of this delectable dish.Print
(See Gluten-free adaption in the Notes section below.)
- 1 container (6 ounce) feta cheese crumbles (around 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 3 large green onions, dark and light green portions cut into 1-inch pieces – plus additional for garnish
- Sprinkle or two of garlic powder
- Dash oregano (fresh or dried)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream, if needed (see directions)
- Grilled ciabatta bread, crostini, pita chips or crackers, for serving
- In a small food processor or blender, process the feta cheese, sour cream, olive oil and green onion until well blended and very smooth.
- Add garlic powder, oregano and cayenne pepper; blend. Season to taste with kosher salt (may not need any). Add more sour cream or olive oil to taste, as needed.
- If your feta cheese is very strong/ripe, add in a bit of heavy cream to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve at room temperature with grilled ciabatta bread, crostini, pita chips or crackers.
Gluten free: Serve with grilled gluten-free bread or crackers.
Make ahead: Mousse can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Category: appetizers, quick and easy, make ahead, gluten free