Feta Mousse is a tangy, creamy, super flavorful appetizer that’s quick and easy to prepare.
One evening a few years ago, while dining at Charcoal restaurant in Denver, I fell in love with their Feta Mousse appetizer. It’s no longer on the menu, but fortunately I have recreated my own version of this delectable dish.
Why do I love this Feta Mousse? Well, to start, I love feta cheese. And, the tangy, salty feta flavor is well balanced in this dish, and the consistency has just the right amount of creaminess.
While dining at Charcoal, I was channeling my mother, and did what she always did when she loved a restaurant dish – which was to walk into the kitchen and politely ask the chef if he was willing to share the recipe. If you have ever done this, you know that more often than not chefs are happy to share their secrets (I have only had one refusal to date). And, the chef at Charcoal was happy to oblige.
While chefs tend to provide the list of ingredients, they are often a bit vague about the quantities and method of preparation. But that’s where the fun comes in! This recipe didn’t take too many attempts on my part to recreate, as the chef-provided ingredient list was limited (only 5) and the method fairly simple. As usual, I did add in a few additional ingredients, both to balance as well as enhance the flavors even more.
I like to serve this tangy, creamy Feta Mousse with grilled ciabatta bread on the side.
Pin it now to save for later!
Note: I originally posted this Feta Mousse recipe several years ago, and recently decided it needed an update. Over the years, I’ve tweaked it, adding a few ingredients that make it even more delicious. I’ve also honed my food photography skills a bit, and wanted to share a better photo of this delectable dish.
Feta Mousse is tangy, creamy and super flavorful. It’s quick and easy to prepare, too! Just four basic ingredients are accented by garlic powder, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt. Serve with grilled bread for an easy and elegant appetizer.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes rest
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: Makes around 1 cup 1x
- Category: appetizers, quick and easy, make ahead, gluten free
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 container (6 ounce) feta cheese crumbles (around 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 3 large green onions, dark and light green portions cut into 1-inch pieces – plus additional for garnish
- Sprinkle or two of garlic powder
- Dash oregano (fresh or dried)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream, if needed (see directions)
- Grilled ciabatta bread, crostini, pita chips or crackers, for serving
- In a small food processor or blender, process the feta cheese, sour cream, olive oil and green onion until well blended and very smooth.
- Add garlic powder, oregano and cayenne pepper; blend. Season to taste with kosher salt (may not need any). Add more sour cream or olive oil to taste, as needed.
- If your feta cheese is very strong/ripe, add in a bit of heavy cream to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve at room temperature with grilled ciabatta bread, crostini, pita chips or crackers.
Gluten free: Serve with grilled gluten-free bread or crackers.
Make ahead: Mousse can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.