Earthy and savory, luxurious Mushroom Pâté will soon be part of your regular recipe rotation. Made with dense, meaty cremini mushrooms (baby portabella), it’s easy to prepare, too! And, this scrumptious vegetarian pâté is so full of deep umami flavors, even your meat-eating friends will love it.
Mushroom Pate Recipe
One night, I had guests coming in from out of town and needed a quick appetizer. I wanted something hearty yet vegetarian, so I immediately thought of mushrooms. This Mushroom Pâté was born and it was a hit.
How to Make Pate with Mushroom as the Star Ingredient
Dense, meaty cremini mushrooms (baby portabella) are sautéed in garlic butter, finished with green onion and a bit of sherry, then mixed with fresh thyme leaves, melted cream cheese, lemon and cayenne pepper. Toasted pecans, added at the end, provide a bit of crunch. So easy, so elegant and super delicious.
How do you store mushroom pâté?
Can pate be frozen?
Yes, it freezes beautifully. Thaw at room temperature. It can also be prepared up to 2 days ahead and held in the refrigerator.
I like to serve this delectable pâté with toasted baguette slices, toast points or crackers. It’s also delicious alongside prosciutto.
Pin this recipe now to save for later!
Other easy appetizer recipes you might like
- Mushroom Croustades
- Sally’s Smoked Trout Pâté
- Cannellini Bean Bruschetta
- Cannellini Bean Dip with Truffle Oil
- Olive Cheese Balls
- Onion Parmesan Toasts
- Artichoke, Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Appetizer
Earthy and savory, luxurious Mushroom Pâté will soon be part of your regular recipe rotation. Made with dense, meaty cremini (baby Portobello) mushrooms, it’s easy to prepare, too! And, it’s so full of deep umami flavors, even your meat-eating friends will love it.
- 16 ounces baby portabella (cremini) mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion (white, light green and some of the dark green portion)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- Juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Crackers, toasted baguette slices or toast points
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, cut the caps in half and thinly slice.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the green onion and sherry; cook until liquid evaporates.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in thyme and cream cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, just until the cheese melts and mixture is blended.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in pecans.
- Press mixture into a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serve with crackers, toasted baguette slices or toast points.
Make ahead: Pâté can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
**Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out by giving it a star rating and leaving a comment below!
Keywords: pate, cremini mushrooms, savory, earthy