- 16 ounces baby portabella (cremini) mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion (white, light green and some of the dark green portion)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- Juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Crackers, toasted baguette slices or toast points
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, cut the caps in half and thinly slice.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the green onion and sherry; cook until liquid evaporates.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in thyme and cream cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, just until the cheese melts and mixture is blended.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in pecans.
- Press mixture into a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serve with crackers, toasted baguette slices or toast points.
Make ahead: Pâté can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
Gluten free: serve with gluten free crackers or toast points.
- Category: appetizers, gluten free, easy to prepare
- Method: sauté
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: pate, cremini mushrooms, savory, earthy