Prosciutto-Wrapped Smoked Mozzarella Sticks are a quick, easy, 3-ingredient appetizer that everyone loves!
One evening when Robert and I were at our mountain home, we had an impromptu cocktail gathering with a few friends. I quickly went to my kitchen in search of something to serve, and pulled out some prosciutto and cheese to put together a simple charcuterie platter. Then I remembered those prosciutto or salami-wrapped cheese sticks they sell in our grocery store and realized I had all the right ingredients to make my own version! What’s more, one of my cheeses was smoked Mozzarella, which is a great match with prosciutto.
Even though everything was coming together well for such short notice, I thought they needed a little something more and glanced around my kitchen for another fun ingredient to add. That’s when the fresh basil caught my eye! Earlier that day, I had made my Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette dressing so I had fresh basil sitting on the kitchen counter. I stuck a basil leaf into the prosciutto rolls and voilà! The resulting flavor combination was exactly what I was looking for. A bit smoky from the cheese, a bit sweet from the basil and a bit salty from the prosciutto.
Pin it now to save for later!
Prosciutto-Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks are a quick and easy, 3-ingredient appetizer that can be prepared ahead of time.
8 ounces smoked Mozzarella cheese (brick style)
6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
1 small packet (around 3/4 ounce) fresh basil
- Cut Mozzarella cheese into 3 to 4-inch long matchstick pieces, around 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- Lay one piece of prosciutto on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into a rectangle, and trim fat off the edges.
- Place a large basil leaf (or 2 if small) parallel to one short side of the prosciutto, leaving around 1/2-inch border. Place a cheese stick on top of the basil.
- Tightly roll prosciutto around cheese and basil.
- Repeat with remaining prosciutto, cheese and basil.
- Place sticks on a platter and serve!
Make ahead: Can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.