Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now (Free Standard Shipping)
Two of my favorite ingredients are combined together in this flavorful Parmesan-Mustard Sauce.
I think that both dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese are the perfect complement to almost any vegetable. So, one night when I wanted to jazz up my Roasted Root Vegetables a bit, I created this sauce. A delicious combination of thickened vegetable broth, Parmesan cheese, two types of mustard and sesame seeds, this sauce is nutty, mustard-y and full of flavor – yet doesn’t overpower the roasted veggies. And, I discovered it’s equally as delicious on crab cakes!Print
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted or not)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in broth; increase heat to medium and bring to a low boil. Continue cooking, stirring or whisking, just until thickened.
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese, and continue cooking just until cheese is incorporated.
- Remove from heat and whisk in mustards and sesame seeds. Season to taste with fresh ground pepper. Serve immediately.