Roasted Chicken Sausage and Butternut Squash will quickly become part of your regular routine – it’s that delicious AND easy to prepare. Sweet, nutty squash and mild chicken sausage are tossed together with olive oil, fresh herbs and garlic, then roasted. So few ingredients, so much deep, rich flavor!
Why You’ll Love this Sausage and Squash Recipe
Roasted Chicken and Butternut Squash is a satisfying and flavorful dish that’s perfect when squash is in season and I’m trying to use the last of my garden herbs before the first snowfall. You can purchase a two-pound bag of peeled and cubed butternut squash at Costco and other major grocery stores, which reduces the prep time on this recipe to about five minutes! In a pinch, you could even use frozen peeled and cubed squash.
Sausage and Butternut Squash Ingredients
Calling for only 7 ingredients, simply slice chicken sausage and roast it together with the squash, olive oil, garlic and a mixture of fresh herbs. Don’t have fresh herbs on hand? No problem! Just use dried. The ratio is 1-to-3; so for 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, use 1 teaspoon dried.
How to Make this Sausage and Butternut Squash Recipe
Just follow these 4 easy steps to put this enticing dish together:
- Prep oven.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine ingredients; season.
In a large roasting pan, combine squash, sausage, garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme.
Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to mix.
Roast until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage FAQs
Yes, butternut squash skin is edible, but it can change the texture of the dish. It’s personal preference whether to peel or not. I prefer to peel it in this recipe.
Yes butternut squash is very healthy. It’s full of vitamins (including A and C) and minerals (including potassium and magnesium), is high in fiber and low in calories. It can help to reduce blood pressure, aid in digestion and even help slow down memory loss.
Pin it now to save for later –Print
(See gluten-free adaptation in Notes section below.)
- 2 pounds peeled, seeded and cubed (1/2 to 3/4 inch) butternut squash (around 6 cups)
- 8 cooked chicken sausages (like chicken and apple), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (can also use flavored olive oil like chipotle or roasted red pepper)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, combine squash, sausage, garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to mix.
- Roast until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free sausage.
- Category: Poultry, quick and easy
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 553
- Sugar: 7.8 g
- Sodium: 1746.2 mg
- Fat: 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.4 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 25.2 g
- Cholesterol: 201.6 mg