A favorite fall-flavored recipe in our house is my quick and easy Roasted Chicken Sausage and Butternut Squash.
Roasted Chicken and Butternut Squash is a satisfying and flavorful dish that’s perfect when squash is in season and I’m trying to use the last of my garden herbs before the first snowfall. You can purchase a two-pound bag of peeled and cubed butternut squash at Costco and other major grocery stores, which reduces the prep time on this recipe to about five minutes! In a pinch, you could even use frozen peeled and cubed squash.
Calling for only 7 ingredients, simply slice chicken sausage and roast it together with the squash, olive oil, garlic and a mixture of fresh herbs. Don’t have fresh herbs on hand? No problem! Just use dried. The ratio is 1-to-3; so for 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, use 1 teaspoon dried.
I prepared this recipe on camera with the Good Day LA crew in our airstream trailer! Watch the clip here for some tips on peeling butternut squash (and a few laughs as the on-air talent didn’t know a thing about cooking!).
Pin it now to save for later –
Roasted Chicken Sausage and Butternut Squash
Quick and easy to prepare, roasted chicken sausage and butternut squash is full of both flavor and color. And, it’s so scrumptious your whole family will love it! Calling for only 7 ingredients, simply slice chicken sausage and roast it together with the squash, olive oil, garlic and a mixture of fresh herbs. Don’t have fresh herbs on hand? No problem! Just use dried (1 teaspoon dried = 1 tablespoon chopped fresh).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Poultry, quick and easy
- 2 pounds peeled, seeded and cubed (1/2 to 3/4 inch) butternut squash (around 6 cups)
- 8 cooked chicken sausages (like chicken and apple), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (can also use flavored olive oil like chipotle or roasted red pepper)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, combine squash, sausage, garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to mix.
- Roast until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, for about 25 to 30 minutes.