These make-ahead Seafood Phyllo Bundles with Creole Mustard Sauce are packed with flavor, scrumptious and impressive to serve.
Shrimp and crab are seasoned with the “holy trinity of Cajun cooking” (onions, bell peppers and celery) and Old Bay, mixed together with cream cheese and then wrapped in a delicate phyllo pastry. As if that isn’t enough, these delectable bundles are then served with a tangy Creole sauce, resulting in an impressive entrée that is easy to prepare and perfect for a Mardi Gras celebration. I recommend purchasing the best quality lump crabmeat you can find.
Seafood Phyllo Bundles with Creole Mustard Sauce
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
- 5 to 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green and/or red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic or chives
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, cleaned, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seafood seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Fresh lemon juice (optional)
Creole Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup half and half or evaporated whole milk
- 1/3 cup Creole mustard*
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup regular or lowfat sour cream, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring phyllo pastry to room temperature.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Stir in onion, pepper, celery, green onion, garlic or chives and shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until shrimp is cooked and vegetables are soft. Reduce heat to low and stir in the crabmeat, cream cheese and seafood seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a bit of lemon juice, if desired. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a large cutting board and brush with some of the melted butter. Cover remaining phyllo with a damp cloth to prevent drying out. Place a second phyllo sheet on top and brush with a bit more butter. Fold in half lengthwise to form a 8- by 13-inch rectangle; brush with butter.
- Mound 1/4 of filling in a strip at narrow side of phyllo rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border on the sides.
- Fold over bottom edge of phyllo just to cover filling. Fold in edges on the long sides to cover filling and roll up.
- Place, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat 3 more times to make a total of 4 bundles. Brush top and sides of each bundle with melted butter. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Prepare the Creole sauce while the seafood bundles are baking. In a small saucepan, whisk together milk, mustards, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper. Cook over medium-low heat until hot. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Season with salt, to taste.
- Place each seafood bundle on a serving plate and top with a spoonful of Creole Sauce (or spoon sauce on the side).
*Substitute 1/4 cup coarse grain mustard if you can’t find Creole.
Leftover sauce is delicious on grilled chicken or crab cakes.
Make Ahead: Seafood bundles can be assembled but not baked earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking. Sauce can be made the day before, covered and refrigerated.