Robert and I love enjoying a warm bowl of soup alongside a delicious sandwich for a casual Sunday supper. I particularly love this Zucchini Soup because it is actually healthy (low in fat and carbs), a snap to put together – and, best of all, scrumptious! We enjoy it together with a Turkey, Chutney and Cheese Panini. Both recipes are below – enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk (can also use whole milk, half and half or whipping cream)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp (for garnish) – can use turkey bacon
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is limp.
- Add zucchini, stock, onion flakes, nutmeg, white pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for around 15 to 20 minutes or until zucchini is very tender when pierced with a fork. Stir in basil, remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Purée with an immersion blender, or put half of mixture into a blender and purée until smooth; put purée in a large mixing bowl and repeat with second half.
- Return to saucepan, stir in the milk and heat over medium heat until hot. Crumble one slice bacon into each serving; serve hot.
- Category: Soups, healthy
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 12 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 8 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat panini maker, or spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese on each tortilla. Spread 1 tablespoon mango chutney over the cream cheese on half of each tortilla. Place turkey on top of the chutney. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese over turkey. Fold tortilla in half over the cheese is melted and tortillas are lightly toasted. Cut in half and serve immediately.
- Category: Sandwiches, quick and easy