A delicious way to serve green beans that everyone in your family will love.
Green Bean Casserole
- Yield: 6 to 8 1x
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans (can also use frozen)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam green beans until tender (if using frozen, place under running water until thawed. Drain well.)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan and cook onion and parsley over medium heat until soft, around 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, flour, lemon zest, sour cream and sherry and cook another 3 minutes. Stir in beans and pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle top with grated cheese.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of grated cheese. Bake casserole until bubbly and hot and lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.
Make ahead: Casserole can be assembled but not baked earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before cooking.