Frozen Lemon Velvet Pots de Crème are a cool, creamy, lemon-y dessert that’s perfect for sultry summer evenings!
Smooth as velvet, this timeless make-ahead recipe from mom’s collection is another crowd pleaser. Mom took a basic cheesecake recipe, added layers of lemon flavor (zest and juice) and whipped evaporated milk, then froze it in a graham cracker crust. The result is a deliciously cool and creamy dessert, perfect for a warm summer night. For a different, more elegant presentation, I like to put it in my pots de crème. If you don’t have pots, use 4 to 6-ounce ramekins! Then finish it off with some plump, juicy blueberries. Yum!
Note that the completed dish needs to be frozen overnight.
Pin it now to save for later!
Frozen Lemon Velvet Pots de Crème
Frozen Lemon Velvet is a cool, creamy, lemon-y dessert perfect for warm summer evenings!
- Yield: 8 to 10 pots de crème (or ramekins) 1x
- Category: Dessert, make ahead, gluten free
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated whole milk
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2/3 cup butter, melted
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Fresh blueberries (optional)
- Butter 8 to 10 pots or ramekins. (I use 4 to 6-ounce size ramekins.)
- Place evaporated milk in a metal bowl and freeze about 1 hour.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter. Set aside 3 tablespoons; lightly press remaining crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pots. Don’t press it down too hard as then it freezes too firm.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Remove evaporated milk from freezer and beat about 5 minutes with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture and then spoon on top of graham crackers, dividing evenly between pots. Sprinkle tops with remaining 3 tablespoons of graham cracker mixture. Freeze overnight.
- Serve with blueberries, if desired.
Make ahead: Can be made up to 1 month ahead and kept frozen.
Gluten free: Use Pamela’s Gluten Free Golden Graham Crackers; process in a food processor until crumbs. Reduce butter to 1/3 cup.