Savor our robust and comforting Green Chile Chicken Soup, a dish that combines tender chicken, green chilies, tomatoes, new potatoes, and a medley of aromatic Mexican spices. This no-fuss recipe not only promises rich flavor but also requires minimal hands-on time with just 10 minutes of prep! Let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours, allowing all the ingredients to meld into a smoky, earthy spiciness that will warm you from the inside out.
Table of Contents
- Why This Green Chile Chicken Soup Recipe Works
- Ingredients for Green Chile Chicken Soup
- How to Make Green Chile Chicken Soup
- Tips for Adjusting the Spiciness of the Soup
- Variations and Additions to Green Chile Chicken Soup
- Serving Suggestions and Accompaniments for Green Chile Chicken Soup
- Storing and Reheating Tips
- Other Chicken Soup Recipes to Try
- Green Chile Chicken Soup
Why This Green Chile Chicken Soup Recipe Works
This recipe came from my cousin Barb Keller, who is an excellent cook. Barb has a knack for delicious recipes that are full of flavor without requiring difficult-to-find ingredients, special tools, or advanced cooking skills. This soup recipe from her has become a favorite of mine. I always have the ingredients on hand, and in just a few minutes I can put it together, then leave it to simmer. My kitchen quickly becomes infused with the aroma of Southwestern spices and the promise of a delicious meal ahead!
In sum, here’s why I love this hearty soup recipe and think you will too:
- Super easy to prepare – 10 minutes of prep and you only need to chop 3 ingredients!
- Readily available ingredients – from your local grocery store.
- Flexible – you can add or substitute ingredients based on what you have on hand or to suit your tastes.
- Deeply flavorful – simmering it for 1 1/2 hours ensures the Mexican spices fully infuse into the other ingredients. It also reduces the chicken broth, concentrating its flavor and allowing it to thicken.
- Meal in a bowl – with a thickened broth, this soup has a chunky, stew-like texture that makes it both satisfying and filling.
Ingredients for Green Chile Chicken Soup
To make Green Chile Chicken Soup, you’ll need a handful of flavorful ingredients that are readily available in most grocery stores:
- Chicken. Either boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs will work in this recipe.
- Canned diced green chiles. These chiles add that subtle heat and Mexican taste.
- New potatoes. They contribute a texture that complements the soup’s robustness, soaking up the spices while retaining their shape.
- Canned diced tomatoes. Providing a tangy acidity and a burst of freshness, they counterbalance the heat and round out the soup’s overall character.
- Garlic. Adds depth and richness, enhancing all the other flavors in the soup.
- Chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, coriander. Each of these spices is essential, with chili powder offering warmth, cumin adding a smoky hit, oregano an aromatic touch, and coriander a hint of citrus.
- Chicken broth or stock. This liquid foundation deepens the overall taste and brings all the ingredients together.
- Garnishes. Sour cream and shredded Cheddar cheese are my favorite toppings for this soup. You could also add chopped fresh cilantro, green onion, and/or avocado.
How to Make Green Chile Chicken Soup
Here’s all you have to do to prepare and serve this amazing chicken soup recipe:
- Combine all the ingredients in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, add a splash of vinegar to brighten the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls, top with a dollop of sour cream, and sprinkle with cheese.
Tips for Adjusting the Spiciness of the Soup
I would classify this soup as mildly spicy. To add more of a kick:
- Add more chili powder.
- Add cayenne pepper.
- Add chopped fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers. Leaving in some of the seeds and membrane will add even more spice.
- Add a splash or two of hot sauce.
- Use “hot” canned diced green chiles instead of mild.
Variations and Additions to Green Chile Chicken Soup
While Green Chile Chicken Soup is a delightful dish on its own, here are a few ideas for additions:
- Yellow onion
- Jalapeno peppers
- Green bell peppers
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Corn kernels
- Chopped fresh cilantro
And here are a few possible substitutions:
- Use shredded chicken (leftover cooked chicken works well) in place of the uncooked chicken.
- Swap out the canned chiles for around 1 cup chopped roasted poblano peppers (seeds removed).
- Replace the sour cream garnish with nonfat Greek yogurt.
Serving Suggestions and Accompaniments for Green Chile Chicken Soup
To serve, ladle the hot soup into individual soup bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese. Alternatively, you can serve the garnishes on the side. As mentioned above, a few other garnish ideas include:
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped ripe avocado
And, here are some recommended accompaniments to serve with this soup:
Storing and Reheating Tips
Cool any leftovers, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate. It will keep for up to 4 days. Note that the soup will thicken as it sits; I recommend adding a bit more broth when reheating. This soup can also be frozen for up to 2 months; defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat over medium heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Other Chicken Soup Recipes to TryPrint
- 1 cup chopped uncooked chicken, or more to taste (around 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast) – chop into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 8 ounces red potatoes with skins, chopped into bite-sized pieces (or 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped)
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Splash white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Shortly before serving, add a splash of vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with cheese.
- Category: hearty soups
- Method: cooktop
- Cuisine: Mexican