Easy to prepare, Coleslaw with Lemon-Mayonnaise Dressing takes the traditional coleslaw recipe and amps up the flavor with the additions of jicama, green onions, lemon juice and celery seeds. Bright, tangy and oh, so delicious! And, it can be made up to 24 hours in advance, too.
What’s summer without coleslaw? I love it with burgers, brats, grilled pork tenderloin or steak – well, with just about anything! I used to always make the basic coleslaw recipe – you know the one, with shredded cabbage and carrots, mayonnaise, vinegar and maybe some sugar. One time while we were camping, I decided to jazz up the coleslaw a bit.
So, to the traditional recipe I added a few ingredients that I had on hand in our trailer – chopped jicama, green onions, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, celery seeds and celery salt. Just the addition of a few more items, and wow, it tasted like a whole new salad! Fresher, lighter, tangy-er – yum!
Note: as a shortcut, use bagged coleslaw mix with green and red cabbage and carrots.
Pin it now to save for later –
Coleslaw with Lemon-Mayonnaise Dressing
Easy to prepare Coleslaw with Lemon-Mayonnaise Dressing takes the basic coleslaw recipe and amps up the flavor with additions of jicama, lemon juice and celery seeds. Bright, tangy, and oh, so delicious! And, it can be made up to 24 hours in advance, too.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: side dishes, salads, dairy free, make ahead
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 large jicama, peeled and grated, moisture rung out
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, celery seeds and celery salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cabbages, carrots, jicama and green onion (I like to use my hands).
- Add around half of the mayonnaise mixture and toss; add more dressing as needed (you may have some dressing left over). Season with salt and ground pepper to taste (won’t need much, if any, salt).
Make ahead: Dressing can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Toss just before serving.