Parmesan Buttermilk Cornbread is moist, tangy and super delicious! It’s also super easy to prepare – no electric mixer or blender required. Don’t have (or can’t find) buttermilk? No problem – I provide substitutions!
My mom loved cornbread, especially this recipe for Parmesan-Buttermilk Cornbread, which came from her mom. The buttermilk and Parmesan cheese give this bread a nice tangy flavor.
I like to serve this scrumptious cornbread with Award-Winning Chili or Split Pea Soup with Country Ham in the winter, and with Jeanne’s Gazpacho in the summer (recipe for Jeanne’s soup is in our cookbook).
Pin it now to save for later!
Parmesan Buttermilk Cornbread is moist, tangy and super delicious! Easy to make ahead, too. Don’t have (or can’t find) buttermilk? No worries – I provide substitutions in the Notes section below.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- Category: side dishes, quick breads, easy entertaining
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 cup cornmeal (stone-ground)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk – see Note below
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 7 by 11-inch baking dish and place in oven while it preheats (works best not to use a glass dish).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, cheese, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, water, oil and chopped onion. Pour into the flour mixture all at once and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Pour the batter into the hot baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut into 10 squares and serve warm.
Buttermilk substitutions: Can use powdered buttermilk. Alternatively, in a small mixing bowl, stir together 1 cup regular milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before using.
High altitude: No adjustments are necessary.