With this grilled tuna recipe, you can have a delicious and colorful dish on the table in minutes. Tuna steaks are relatively easy to grill, given that they are dense and don’t tend to flake or fall apart when cooked. Just remember to oil your grill just prior to putting the steaks on (see my tuna grilling tips that I shared with Tom Green on Denver’s CW affiliate, KWGN morning news).
The flavor of the tuna blends perfectly with our intensely-flavored Puttanesca sauce of tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, lemon juice, anchovy paste and oregano. Salty, sweet while still tangy, and a bit spicy, this sauce is quick and easy to prepare – and looks beautiful on the plate. Enjoy!
Grilled Tuna with Puttanesca Sauce
(From “A Well-Seasoned Kitchen®” by Sally Clayton and Lee Clayton Roper)
- Yield: 4
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped olives – black or green
- 1 to 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tuna steaks, 3/4-inch thick (see buying tips)
- Preheat grill.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, lemon juice, anchovy paste, red pepper flakes and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Season tuna steaks with salt and pepper and grill over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Serve with sauce on top or on the side.