Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now (Free Standard Shipping)
Broccoli with Bacon and Walnuts – an easy, elegant, colorful side dish to accompany most any entrée.
My husband Robert and I both love broccoli, and I’m always experimenting with new and different ways to prepare it. I think just about any food tastes great with bacon, so one night I came up with this quick and easy, 4-ingredient broccoli and bacon dish. Just steam broccoli florets, and while they are cooking fry up some bacon. Toss in some green onions and toasted walnuts and you have a colorful, delicious side dish to accompany most any entrée!
- 2½ pounds (around 6 cups) fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 9 slices bacon, preferably center-cut
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onion (white, light green and some of the dark green part)
- 1 heaping cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender. Immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- While broccoli is steaming, in a large skillet or sauté pan cook bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon, reserving bacon grease in pan. Break bacon into ½-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Add green onions to remaining bacon grease in pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook on medium-low just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.