Broccoli with Bacon and Walnuts – an easy, elegant, colorful side dish to accompany most any entrée.
My husband Robert and I both love broccoli, and I’m always experimenting with new and different ways to prepare it. I think just about any food tastes great with bacon, so one night I came up with this quick and easy, 4-ingredient broccoli and bacon dish. Just steam broccoli florets, and while they are cooking fry up some bacon. Toss in some green onions and toasted walnuts and you have a colorful, delicious side dish to accompany most any entrée!
Broccoli with Bacon and Walnuts
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables, Gluten free
- 2 1/2 pounds (around 6 cups) fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 9 slices bacon, preferably center-cut
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onion (white, light green and some of the dark green part)
- 1 heaping cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender. Immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- While broccoli is steaming, in a large skillet or sauté pan cook bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon, reserving bacon grease in pan. Break bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Add green onions to remaining bacon grease in pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook on medium-low just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Make ahead: Broccoli can be steamed and cooled earlier in the day, and stored in a Ziploc baggie in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before adding to bacon grease. Bacon can be cooked earlier in the day and stored at room temperature (leave bacon grease in pan).