Super quick and easy to prepare, Crustless Southwestern Chicken Pie is perfect for busy day dinner. Oh, and it’s super delicious, too!
It’s Fall, and I don’t know about you, but my schedule gets even busier this time of year. So, now is when I lean toward dishes that can be assembled quickly, with minimal prep. My mom always said we should have “busy day dinner” recipes in our repertoire. One favorite is my Busy Night Baked Lemon-Caper Salmon. Crustless Southwestern Chicken Pie is another scrumptious, busy day, go-to recipe.
Cooked chicken (or turkey) is tossed together with corn and green chiles in a pie plate. A spicy, flavorful batter of eggs, milk, flour, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder is poured over the top, and the whole mixture is baked until set. Top with grated Cheddar cheese, throw it back in the oven for a few more minutes to melt the cheese, and . . . presto! you have dinner. I like to serve it with salsa and sour cream on the side. You could also add a bit of guacamole, too.
Pin it now to save for later!
Crustless Southwestern Chicken Pie
Super quick and easy to prepare, Crustless Southwestern Chicken Pie is perfect for busy day dinner. It’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken or turkey, and can be easily made gluten free, too (see Note below).
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: poultry, quick and easy, gluten free
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 1 cup fresh corn (can also use thawed frozen)
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk (skim, 2% or whole)
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together chicken, corn and chiles. Season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly in bottom of prepared dish.
- In the same mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder just until combined; do not overmix. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over top of chicken mixture. Poke with a fork in several places to allow the egg mixture to soak in.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is set and lightly browned. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese melts, around another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream (or yogurt) and cilantro on the side.
Gluten free: use gluten free flour mix.