Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now
I love the flavors in Tex-Mex fajitas – grilled protien (meat, poultry or shrimp) combined with grilled onions and peppers and served with tortillas, guacamole, cheese and sour cream. One day I decided to create a dish that captured the basic flavors in fajitas into a healthier, more elegant dish – that is, without the tortillas and all the toppings. This scrumptious grilled chicken dish is the result! The marinade for the chicken includes the primary flavors in many fajita marinades – lime juice, soy sauce, chili powder, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. The peppers and onions are sautéed in olive oil and seasoned with cumin, garlic and oregano. So easy and quick to prepare, beautiful and colorful on the plate – oh, and super delicious!
Serve with Saffron Cilantro Rice.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (around 2½ pounds)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (around 3 limes)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry; if large, butterfly and cut into 2 pieces (see Tip). Place in a large zip top baggie and set aside.
- Prepare the marinade: in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, ½ cup olive oil, soy sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, honey, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and salt. Add to chicken in baggie and place in refrigerator to marinate for 2 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Take chicken out of refrigerator (to bring to room temperature before grilling).
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion. Season with cumin, oregano, and garlic powder and cook until soft, around 10 minutes. Season to taste with kosher salt and ground pepper. Set aside.
- Grill chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, around 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Place cooked chicken breasts on a platter and top with the cooked peppers and onions. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro or parsley.