These tarts are small, but the size is perfect because they make rich and savory bites. Note that you will need to start ahead as the tarts require freezing before being baked.
Cheddar Chutney Tarts
- Yield: 15 to 20 (makes around 5 dozen) 1x
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 4 medium green onions, chopped
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (17 ounce) frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, mix the cream cheese until smooth. Add the Cheddar, garlic and curry powder and blend well. Chop up the large pieces in the chutney and add to the cheese mixture along with onions, cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out one piece of puff pastry into a 12-inch square. Cut into 2-inch squares. Press into mini-muffin tins and prick with a fork. Repeat with second pastry sheet. Spoon 1 teaspoon filling into center of each square. (You are likely to have a few squares of pastry left over.) Freeze tarts in the tins.
- To bake the tarts, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake frozen tarts 15 minutes until pastry is golden. Serve hot.
Make ahead: Tarts can be kept frozen for up to 6 months. The filling can be made up to 3 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using; then proceed with freezing before baking.
This recipe was featured on a Linky Party at http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.