Having friends over to watch the Pro Bowl or the Super Bowl? This scrumptious cheese torte recipe, from mom’s home state of Kentucky, can be made up to one month ahead and frozen, allowing for stress-free entertaining.Print
- 16 ounces grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 packages (8 ounce) cream cheese, at room temperature, separated
- 1/3 cup mango chutney, large mango pieces chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and wrung dry
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Line a 6-inch spring form pan with plastic wrap.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cheddar cheese, pecans, chopped onion and enough mayonnaise to hold the mixture together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread half of mixture into prepared dish. Place the dish, but not the remaining cheese mixture, in the refrigerator.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese with the chutney and cayenne pepper. Spread evenly over the cheese layer in the dish. Return to the refrigerator.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the remaining package of cream cheese, bacon, spinach, garlic and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread evenly over chutney mixture. Top with remaining cheddar cheese mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on top layer. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to serve. Serve with crackers.
Make ahead: torte can be made up to 1 month ahead and frozen. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then at room temperature for several hours.