Healthy Broccoli Soup with Potato Croutons is the perfect light and flavorful dish to add to your repertoire of good-for-you recipes!
Like many folks, in January my husband Robert and I try to get back to eating healthier. Other than during the holidays (when we give ourselves a break to indulge), we tend to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, utilize portion control, minimize the use of processed foods and maintain a balanced diet. Mom always said it’s okay to have a steak one night, just have chicken or fish the next to balance it out.
So, now is the time to get back to our normal meal planning. This soup is one of our favorite healthy dishes.
Fresh broccoli is steamed/boiled in a vegetable stock with leeks, garlic and ginger, then puréed and mixed together with milk – and an usual ingredient, soy sauce. The soy amps up the flavor and reduces the amount of salt needed!
I then top it off with some potato croutons – small cubes of potato that are roasted until crunchy. It’s a great alternative to traditional bread croutons, adding more depth of flavor. I toss them in paprika when roasting, both to layer in more flavor as well as to add color to the potatoes.
Sprinkle chopped red onion and grated Parmesan cheese over all, and you have a super yummy, healthy soup that will please both friends and family!
(Note: the Potato Croutons are delicious in salads, too!)
Healthy Broccoli Soup with Potato Croutons
Healthy Broccoli Soup with Potato Croutons is the perfect light and flavorful dish to add to your repertoire of good-for-you dishes!
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Category: Healthy Soups, vegetarian, gluten-free, easy entertaining
2 medium Yukon Gold (or sweet) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Olive oil spray
Healthy Broccoli Soup
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 medium leek, rinsed and chopped (white and light green part)
3 to 4 teaspoons grated ginger
1 1/4 pounds fresh broccoli, stems sliced and florets cut into pieces
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups milk
4 teaspoons soy sauce
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Chopped red onion, for garnish
Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chopped potatoes in medium rimmed baking pan. Spray generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and paprika; toss to coat. Roast for 18 minutes.
- Spray with more olive oil and continue roasting until crispy and golden brown, around another 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Healthy Broccoli Soup
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and leek and cook until soft, stirring occasionally – around 8 minutes.
- Add the ginger, broccoli and vegetable stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, around 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool a bit.
- Purée mixture with an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender and purée. Return to saucepan and stir in milk and soy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat over medium-low heat until warm.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with potato croutons, chopped red onion and Parmesan cheese.
Make ahead: the soup can be cooked up to 1 day ahead, cooled, covered and refrigerated. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free olive oil spray, vegetable stock and tamari soy sauce.