I mentioned this delicious coleslaw in a posting during our airstream trip last month. I made it one night for dinner, to serve alongside my husband Robert’s Grilled Sausages with Peppers and Onions (recipe to follow in another post!). As a shortcut, you can use bagged coleslaw mix with green and red cabbage and carrots. Delish! Great for Fall tailgating too.
Coleslaw with Lemon-Mayonnaise Dressing
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded (or can use all green cabbage)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 large jicama, peeled and grated, moisture rung out
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, celery seeds and celery salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cabbages, carrots, jicama and green onion (I like to use my hands). Add around half of the mayonnaise mixture and toss; add more dressing as needed (you may have some dressing left over). Season with salt and ground pepper to taste (won’t need much, if any, salt).
Make ahead: Dressing can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Toss just before serving.